If you’re still of the belief that vegan cakes can’t be as delicious as non-vegan ones, this recipe will make you think otherwise! 🍰 This chocolate cake strikes the perfect balance of sweetness and moistness, with simple ingredients that you likely already have at home, including flour, baking soda, brown sugar, cocoa powder, lemon juice, oil, and vanilla extract.
The mixed berry filling adds a burst of fruity flavor, cooked just enough to thicken, and made from only 4 ingredients. This versatile filling can also be used in other cakes and desserts, so you can get creative with it! So, don’t miss out on this delectable vegan chocolate cake recipe that’s sure to change your perspective on vegan desserts. Give it a try and savor the scrumptious taste! 🧁
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups hot water
- 2 ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
Berry Filling Ingredients
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 cups mixed frozen berries
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ cup brown sugar
Watch the video below for better understanding of the preparation instructions.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF).
- Whisk all the wet ingredients together.
- Mix dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Add the dry mix to the wet and combine well.
- Pour half of the mix in a round paper lined pan and bake for about 30 mins.
- Pour the rest of the mix in a round paper lined pan (I used the same twice) and put it in the oven for about 30 mins. Meanwhile (I do this when there are around 15 mins remaining), prepare the berry filling.
- Assemble the cake.
Berry Filling Preparation
- In a saucepan mix together the berry filling ingredients (2 cups mixed frozen berries, 3 tbsp cornstarch, ½ cup brown sugar and 2 tbsp lemon juice).
- Cook on medium heat for about 5-10 mins until desired consistency.