One lovely morning in Chiang Rai, Thailand, my fiance and I were exploring the city on a rented scooter and searching for a place to grab a bite. As we meandered along, we spotted a small eatery on the street brimming with locals, which immediately caught our attention. It looked like THE place to have a meal, so we inquired about the menu, only to learn that they serve exclusively meatball noodle soup (Chinese style). Without hesitation, we ordered the soup and were blown away by its delicious taste. 😍
For the remaining 20 days of our Thailand trip, we made it our mission to sample meatball noodle soup in every Chinese restaurant we could find, and each one was a unique and delectable experience. 😋 However, the best one we discovered was at a cozy restaurant situated on Yaowarat Road, Chinatown, Bangkok. Since then, I’ve been on a quest to find a recipe that comes close to its flavor, and this meatball noodle recipe is the closest I’ve gotten. 🍜
This soup is not only scrumptious, but also quick and easy to prepare, making it the perfect dinner option.
- 100 g glass noodles
- 500 g ground pork
- ½ tbsp salt
- ½ tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 50 g starch powder
- 1 egg white
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 chopped carrot
- Chinese cabbage
- Shiitake mushrooms
- Black pepper
- Chili flakes
- Cook 100 g glass noodles according to the package instructions. Set aside.
- In a big bowl add 500 g ground pork, ½ tbsp salt, ½ tbsp ground ginger, 1 tbsp sesame oil, 1 tbsp light soy sauce, 1 tbsp oyster sauce, 50 g starch powder and 1 egg white. Mix well and set aside.
- Bring to boil 2l water. Add 1 chicken stock cube.
- Lower the temperature to medium high and add 1 chopped carrot, chinese cabbage, shiitake mushrooms and some black pepper. Cook for 5 mins.
- Roll a meatball (2 cm in diameter) and drop it in the soup. Repeat until you are out of ground pork mixture.
- Stir occasionally until all the meatballs are almost cooked.
- Add the cooked glass noodles and cook until the meatballs are cooked.
- Sprinkle with chili flakes when serving.